Why Choose Satellite?
Satellite-based Solutions Are a Natural Fit for Disaster Response and Recovery
When local infrastructure is disrupted or damaged, satellite communications rely on a satellite spacecraft that is safely orbiting thousands of miles above the earth, and ground stations that are safely hundreds or even thousands of miles away from the affected disaster area. Cellular infrastructure is frequently flooded, burned, or otherwise damaged. Portable cellular infrastructure can be brought in, but this takes time and access to affected areas can sometimes be limited for days or even weeks. Even when cellular infrastructure is restored, capacity can be limited and/or overwhelmed by the number of users in the area. When Internet and backhaul links are still offline, everyone in the area will be relying on their mobile device to communicate instead of the normal distribution between cellular, WiFi, and wired connections. It’s also quite likely that there will be a large number of additional people in the area assisting with recovery efforts. In addition to conventional first responder agencies (who will soon begin to have access to dedicated cellular capacity for such purposes), there will be hundreds or even thousands of other users in the area — insurance claims teams, humanitarian relief organizations, cleanup and construction crews, to name a few. These will all place additional burden on an already taxed cellular infrastructure. Satellite avoids all of the local infrastructure and bottlenecks. Satellite communications can provide a rapidly deployable solution to immediate communication needs, but it is important to consider just what your needs are.
Join Our Network
Inherently reliable and resilient, our multi-satellite, multi-teleport network provides coast to coast coverage and the fastest speeds in the industry.
Our network was built from the ground up with public safety and emergency communications in mind. Every component was designed for reliability to provide the highest level of connectivity all backed by 24/7 support.
- User-selectable satellites
- No IP address reconfiguration
- Teleport relocation for inclement weather
THE IPA SELECT NETWORK ARCHITECTURE PROVIDES OUR COMMUNITY WITH PROTECTION FROM:
- Line-of-sight blockage due to trees, buildings, and other obstacles
- Regional disasters and infrastructure disruptions (fires, floods, power outages, fiber cuts)
- Equipment failure in any network component – spacecraft, antenna, teleport, etc
OFTEN IMITATED, BUT NEVER REPLICATED, OUR SELECT NETWORK IS UNIQUELY POSITIONED TO OFFER OUR PUBLIC SAFETY COMMUNITY WITH UNPARALLELED AVAILABILITY AND ACCESSIBILITY. BELOW ARE JUST A FEW OF THE ELEMENTS THAT MAKE THE SELECT NETWORK A SUPERIOR OFFERING:
- User-selectable satellite and ground station redundancy, requiring no reconfiguration of user equipment and no phone call
- Multiple satellites, served by ground stations, always on and always available on-demand
- Geographically diverse ground stations, separated by more than 2,400 miles
- Ground stations interconnected by redundant, path-diverse, carrier-diverse fiber optic network
- Ground stations staffed 24×7 with trained RF operations staff
- Fully redundant environmental systems – HVAC, UPS, generators
- Fully redundant infrastructure systems – RF components, hub components, and IP network
- High-powered Ku-band satellites protect against rain fade and consumer overrun of resources